Some of New Zealand’s latest recruits to netball had a big boost recently when players from the Mainland Tactix ANZ Premiership side visited their session. The young netballers are part of the ANZ futureFERNS programme, which is Netball New Zealand’s official junior Netball programme for children in Year 1 – 8.
This programme focuses on fun activities conducted in a safe environment. Small games are the preferred training method and are proven to be the most appropriate way to enhance skill and tactical development.
Years 1 and 2: Introduces Netball to 5 – 6 year olds. The aim is to develop fundamental movement and basic Netball skills. Playing 4 v 4 allows the players to pass, catch and shoot from day one.
Years 3 and 4: ANZ futureFERNS Year 3 & 4 is designed to be fast and fun, maximising participation and touches of the ball. With modified equipment and less players on the court, in 5 v 5 the game is less complicated.
Years 5 and 6: The 6 v 6 game is fast and provides players with lots of touches on the ball to enhance skill development and enjoyment. With only three positions on court it means the game is less complicated for children and easier for coaches to ensure the players learn the skills relevant to all positions and to provide them with equal opportunities.
Years 7 and 8: Players have developed a considerable understanding of the game, and are now playing 7 v 7. The emphasis is on converting fundamental movement and basic Netball skills to foundation Netball skills. Performance, challenge and playing are key motives for this age group. Ensuring positional rotation and playing at least half a game will give each player the opportunity to participate and develop.
ANZ futureFERNS programme has benefits for both Players and Parents:
- Development of sound fundamental Netball skills
- Participation in a safe learning environment
- Playing with their friends and meeting others
- Active physical involvement
- Lifelong love of Netball
- Reassurance that their child is participating in a NNZ endorsed programme
- Enhancement of the child’s social and fundamental skills
- Ability to share skills and knowledge with the Netball community
- Opportunity to learn more about Netball
- Opportunity to spend time with and play with their children
- Prospect to make new friends
- Value for money
For more information visit the ANZ futureFERNS website: http://www.mynetball.co.nz/futureferns/home.html